Jan Szmelter Award Contest
Traditionally for the Conference on Computer Methods in Mechanics, at the PCM-CMM 2019 there will be held a contest for young researchers for the best paper. Since CMM 2011 the contest has been associated with the name of Professor Jan Szmelter, who pioneered the Finite Element Method in Poland. The winners of the Jan Szmelter Award will be announced on 12th September 2019 during the closing ceremony.
The Terms and Conditions of the Jan Szmelter Award Contest can be found here.
1. An eligible participant is a person who meets the following conditions:
a) is under the age of 30 on the first day of the month in which the Conference is being held,
b) is a participant of the CMM in a given year,
c) personally presents the research paper at the CMM,
d) is the author or the first co-author of the research paper.
2. If the number of applications exceeds 15, the Contest Committee, on the basis of abstracts, selects 15 works that will be evaluated during the Congress. Each member of the Contest Committee sends a list of 15 proposed papers via e-mail to the Secretary of the Contest Committee, who makes a ranking list of Contest’s candidates. On this basis, the Secretary composes a list of Contest’ s participants who will be evaluated during the Conference.
3. The criteria for selecting the best paper:
a) the originality of problem formulation and of the theoretical/numerical techniques used will be of primary importance;
b) the way of presentation and the authors’ participation in discussion will be taken into account during evaluation.
4. The Board of Jury is elected by the Scientific Committee from among participants who are not co-authors of reviewed papers.
5. Decisions of the Jury are made by the simple majority of votes. Voting on procedural matters is public. Voting on the best paper(s) is secret.
6. The Jury may award two papers an equivalent prize or may not award any paper at all.